The Cleveland Browns made headlines three years ago when they traded for quarterback Deshaun Watson. Since then, that deal has become one of the worst trades in professional sports history. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam appears to realize this, as he recently discussed the misguided decision to bring Watson to Cleveland, acknowledging it as a significant failure.
Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot reported on Haslam’s admission: “Browns owner Jimmy Haslam says the team is still recovering from ‘a big swing and miss’ on Deshaun Watson,” as noted in a tweet by Cabot on X. He also stated he and his wife, Dee Haslam, should be held accountable for the move.
#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam says the team is still recovering from ‘a big swing and a miss’ on Deshaun Watson and to hold “me and Dee accountable.”
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) March 31, 2025
The Browns acquired Watson despite a disturbing array of allegations against him, with over two dozen credible accusations of sexual harassment during massage treatments. While other teams showed interest, only Cleveland decided to proceed with the trade. Following the acquisition, Watson was suspended for the 2022 season, leading the Browns to a disappointing 7-10 record. Although they made the playoffs last year, Watson played no significant role, as Joe Flacco took the helm at quarterback, resulting in another playoff elimination. The Browns then faced an even tougher season, finishing 3-14.
There may be a lesson here somewhere, and it will be interesting to see if the Browns attempt to redeem themselves by selecting a new quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft.